Monday, June 15, 2009

Vampires? Oh Yes.

I feel I owe some of you an explanation on vampires, vis. why I read and enjoy Dracula, if not positively rave about it, while I decidedly turn up my nose at the very idea of Twilight. There is, of course, more to it than the latter’s being a “girl’s book.” I read Jane Austen. Hopefully I can gather up my very scattered thoughts and make them intelligible, and perhaps even convincing.

Stories, essentially, tell us how to live. They also entertain us. These are the two greatest points of a story. For a long while I have been part of the school that can’t see why we have to analyze a story so deeply that we take it beyond what the author meant. Can’t we just enjoy it at face value? Enjoy it for the story’s sake? Never mind if it has a moral or a meaning, if it is not an obvious allegory, leave it alone. Don’t dissect it. Then I began to realize that this doesn’t quite hold water. Not all the time. Every story has underlying prepositions imputed consciously or unconsciously by the author, and we need to have some idea of what those are, because, whatever we say, every story we read or watch does affect us in some way or other. I certainly do not mean we must destroy the story to examine its cogs and wheels and veins and atoms. That would rob it of the entertainment. With some stories, such as George MacDonald’s Golden Key, that is impossible. What I mean is we should be aware of what is being subtly suggested to us. We should choose entertainment that influences us for the good.
What does this have to do with Vampires? Some would say to steer clear of them at all costs. They are evil. Read about real stories. Read a biography. Or at least an historical fiction. True. Vampires are evil. Fantasy isn’t real. But they are true. Or, at least, they communicate truths about reality.
In Dracula the Count is portrayed as evil through and through. His victims, once they too become vampires, are damned. Without the choice of whether they want to be evil or not. The book says they cannot enter heaven, that their souls are lost. (It does hint that there might be some sort of redemption at the Judgement, on account of the state of their hearts before they were turned into vampires.) But what is important is that he represents an evil that, like Sauron, needs to be fought against. Because he is evil by his nature. The same is true with dragons, goblins, werewolves, ogres and all those “conveniently ugly creatures.” They may not be allegorical, but they do represent a truth. That truth is that there is real evil in the real world, maybe not so obvious or initially so ugly, but it needs to be fought against all the same. This is where the Devil comes into it. Aren’t we meant to fight him? To fight our own temptations? That is a war. Isn’t it?
Now, Twilight. I confess I have not read the books, nor seen the film. But I have tried to find out about it a little. It seems there are two groups of vampires. One who are traditionally evil, and another who take a more modern, enlightened approach. They are “vegetarian.” That is, they only prey on animals. Not only that, but they are model citizens, protecting humans from the first group, and more importantly, falling in love with them (with the humans, that is.) Hmmm…. that doesn’t sound so awful. Sounds almost noble. Very noble. But remember what vampires traditionally represent? Evil. The Devil. Yet here we have a good vampire. A family of them. I don’t mean to mock this story. It is serious.
Maybe this inversion is put down to originality. But I can’t help but regard it more like to heresy. It seems to hint at dangerous ideas. Something that has always been thought of as evil is being portrayed as good, even desirable. Once again, the line between good and evil is being blurred. How bad can bad be before it is evil? Maybe evil can be tamed, loved and just plain gorgeous. Is that a truth? Can the Devil be tamed? Will he fight against his own kind?
When evil is presented as attractive, don’t we often desire it? What then if the idea of living eternally with the person we love (Apart from God. We make the rules.) is presented to us? In Dracula it is shown to be a terrible alternative. In Twilight it is, I believe, shown in quite a different light, if not at all explicitly. It is a falsehood. But if we instead desire to stand along side the aged Dr. Van Helsing, Frodo, King Peter, Desperaux and all the others and fight evil – both in the world and in our own lives – is that not a truth?
G. K. Chesterton said: “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” But who would want to slay the dragon or the vampire if he/ she is a cute, noble heart throb?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!
You wrote exactly how I feel about Twilight!
Very excellent post.
And thank you for following me!!
I like your profile pic of Turin, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

Wait - I already said that, didn't I?
Oh, well.
I still like it =D

Rachel Danielle said...

Wow- I loved this post! It's so good- I read Twilight and first found myself obsessed but over time I began to itch while reading it. Something felt wrong. Something just didn't feel-right. I liked some stories with vampires- I loved Van Helsing's story and other stories were vampires were clearly evi, illustrating the power of the devil. I figured at first that Twilight was just another way of looking at it at first, but I began to see what you expressed. The lines between good and evil are becoming blurred, The Tempter is using evil to look fine, and it filters into the world so much easier that way!
I love your blog (I'm now a follower!) And completely agree with what you said in your profile. I decided that I had to write what I wanted to read, and we don't get any noble books anymore. I'm trying to bring them back into the world with my writing, and it's wonderful to see that others are too!

Jono said...

Thanks you two, it's encouraging to know that there are others out there who agree with me.
There is something strangely attractive about vampires, I find, which I don't quite understand. It's almost as if their ability to mesmerise exists outside their stories. Which is all the more reason to keep them evil.
Of course, it is not just with vampires in fantasy writing, there is the whole issue of magic that wants sorting out in the genre. You know, "white magic" and "black magic." If I can get myself together, I'd like to do a post on that.
Thanks again.

Oh, and Ëarwen, I guess if something's worth saying once...

Cinnamey said...

This is something I've never quite agreed with... We don't get any noble books any more? At all? I agree that we should write what we wish to read, but to say that there are no noble books any more? If that's true, I'm seriously going to have to rethink a book I just read. A book that did not seem ignoble... seemed rather noble to me. I classed it with what you would call noble books. I'm going to read it again. Then do a post about it saying what I think.

Don't be mad, please, I'm just saying what I think. Just like you are. But by saying what you have said you have eliminated anyone who may be trying to write nobly. I mean yes, most of it isn't that great, but you shouldn't just judge the multitude by the many.

Lydie said...

Jono, as you already know, I regard this post as a triumph in blogging literature. Well done.

But apart from this timely success, I really found myself agreeing with it. The only thing I had against it was the books that appeared and disappeared on your side bar, and I can't blame the post for that. It was distracting, however.

Anyway, Twilight. It's something that I've been thinking about for a while.. along with the concept of magic and faery lore. Here are some things I've been trying to understand..

Should Christians read books that have characters such as witches and vampires in them?
- we know that these characters, even though they may be balanced in the story with 'good' or 'heavenly' type characters, are still originally evil and of the devil, as you pointed out. Even though the story line is 'good' in that it is good vs evil, we still have to confront these demon characters.

- unfortunately, this would make reading books such as The Lord of the Rings wrong. I think.
- but is it okay to read these books with these distorted characters in them, so long as we remember that it is a parody of this world's dark and light forces?

hehe, I'm rambling on. But this whole subject interests me..
I quite agree, that the merging of good and evil in Twilight is dangerous, and intrinsically wrong. That's partly why I love LOTR, because the good wins out (despite the almost impossibly small chances).
But would it be wrong to read Twilight, when we know this?

Jono said...

Ellie, no, of course not. It's hyperbole. There seem to be precious few noble books - and by that I meant stories - being published just now. By saying that I by no means preclude the possibility of recent fiction being noble. Kate de Camillio is one author that springs immediately to mind.

"by saying what you have said you have eliminated anyone who may be trying to write nobly." We might not get noble stories, but that doesn't mean we can't have them, if you see what I mean.

Not that every story has to be so perfect and moralistic (neither must it be fantasy or fairy tale, To Kill a Mockingbird is an incredible tale, which I must really read again. So's The Boy in Striped Pajamas, which is very pleasantly modern.) that all we have is a cast of prigs trotting through the pages of their stories (or across the screen) looking self-righteously askance at their less principled counterparts. I'm all for a story that is just plain fun, with no ulterior purpose than pure enjoyment. But when the author starts seriously playing at old harry with truths, we do have to raise the eyebrows a bit.

But, I'll admit, you know me pretty well - well enough certainly to know that I am not a great reader of the stories that are coming out now. Harry Potter played his part in that, which has prejudiced me against new books.

What was the book you read? Please let me know.

Lydie said...

interesting comments here...
Did I actually write a comment? I thought I had, but it hasn't appeared on here.

Jono said...

Yes, you did. Only I was thinking out an answer which I haven't done yet.

Theresa said...

Woah! Interesting!
I read the back of the first Twilight book when it first appeared on my library's shelf about 3 or 4 years ago. My first thought, as I remember, was "augh, lame! It'll be mushy, badly written and a waste of my time. Plus it's about modern vampires? ewth!?"
Now I wish that I'd read it so that I could speak with authority on this matter. I'm waiting for the library waiting list to get short enough for me to have a chance of loaning it. It is amazing how popular those books are, I have seen guys who don't usually read with their eyes glued to the page. It's not only a girls book.

Anyway, I want to read it. You people [who've commented] are allowed to diss it all you like, it's all good, but I'm reserving my judgment till I've read it.
I want to know why it's so popular.
I don't think it would be wrong to read it, Lydia. I would read it to be able to give an informed recommendation to others, such as my little sisters when they want to read it.
I couldn't help putting my two cents in here. I'll tell you when I finally read it.

Anyway, good post Jono.

A-R said...

Well Jono, I had to comment too...seeing as we were talking about it at church once.....

As I have not read the books I can only comment on the movie..(I do hate to watch the movies before reading the books-although it makes the book so satisfying and also the movie doesn't seem so bad...)

I think it had a good plot-very original, but it does have that itch that Rachel was talking about early....I felt it more....like a darker presence...i thought it was cute and loyal and enjoyable.....but it was slightly freaky....I enjoyed how the relationship didn't seem so artifical-At least they did something right!!!! But eyah....the whole vampire thing I kinda am thinking I agree...Its a hard one to think about....and btw you tink I should read Dracula?

Cinnamey said...

Jono, great! (Now, that's possibly going to be confusing...)

Hmmmm... Harry Potter. I've been told to read those. Are they worth it? Is the magic used in the same way that Diana Wynne Jones uses it?

I've told you already, several times since.


Anna Ruth, yes you ought to read Dracula! I currently reading it and could barely put it down! I managed to so now I'm doing everything I must before I pick it back up.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on the relationship side though.

Hannah Nicole said...

Very excellent post! Exactly the reason that I feel. :)

I love your blog; I'd say more, but I have to go to bed.

Awesome header, and great title.

Hannah

Hannah Nicole said...

I read Ellie's comment, and I must say, that I think that in Harry Potter, the lines are blurred. I haven't personally read it, but from what I've read (and heard) about it, it seems like something I would want to avoid.

Very thought provoking post; definitely something to think about.

Blessings,

Hannah

Jono said...

Whoa, plenty of feedback here. Sorry I haven't gotten round to replying - I'm pretty slack with that sort of thing.
Lydz - yes, I think Christians should read books with things like witches and vampires in them if they like. And it's not so much that the evil is balanced by good, but more that good is good and evil is evil. Also in such stories (and not just in fantasy) the hero is often the weak, unlikely character (some authors do this better than others)that becomes the hero against fearful odds, which is what, if you think about it, Jesus Himself was. He didn't come to earth in the form of a mighty warrior, but of a carpenter. But all the same, he conquered the Dragon. I don't know if that really answers your question. I've been trying to get my head around these things myself for some years.

About Harry Potter: I read the first six books, then stopped (ok, so I read the plot for the last book on Wikipedia to see how it all ended). I was actually quite taken with the stories, a little too much for my good, I reckon. Probably my biggest issue with it is the way magic is used and regarded. And that's to big to go into in a comment, I think. Harry himself is a pretty alright sort of a guy from what I remember. But after the third book the story kept getting cluttered up with who was dating whom. There are other things which I barely remember, I think, but also, because the wizards and witches tended to look down upon "muggles" (that is, all non-magical folk - so all the readers) and they were often portrayed as idiots, or at least fairly clueless, it tends to make the reader pretty dissatisfied with his own life (at least, it did for me).

Cinnamey said...

So basically they make you feel worthless??? As though there is nothing you can do to change anything, where as if you had this type of power, you could? Or not? But then the power used in it (I've seen the movies) isn't a power that seems to be very nice. For what I could tell, when they were battling they were strongest when they were angry. As though the power they had feed off their anger. If I had any magical powers,
I wouldn't want them to be ruled by anger, but I seem to be drawn more to the darker side of them, I can read about Fairies, Elves and other nice creatures and I feel a slight sense of longing to be one. And not an overpowering longing either, a wow wouldn't it be nice?
Then when I read Diana Wynne Jones, I was put into a state of excessive desire to have that kind of power. For a few days after reading them I was in a in such a state I couldn't think of anything else. Even when I read the Bible I couldn't focus properly. Fortunately, for me, someone (yes you) had been doing some thought about it and shared it with me. Thanks for doing that. Anyway, since then, I haven't read anything like it, just incase. Which is why I am asking around about Harry Potter.

Jono, good work explaining that!

Jono said...

Yes, something like that. Harry Potter is similar to Wynne Jones, from what I've read of her, I think.

Lydie said...

yay, I got an answer :)
* is chuckling *
yes, the whole magic thing is difficult to understand.
It's a bit unfair of us all to bombard you with questions, O Jono the Wise, because it's a difficult subject. It's worthwhile to think about though..

One thing I just thought about now is that in the bible, the only supernatural things that happen are from God, and humans are absolutely forbidden to try to do these supernatural things (except for the times that they ask God to do something for them or when God gives them the power to do supernatural things). So any other 'magic' within stories happens when someone gains power from some other supernatural force, either good or bad.

I guess in deciding whether you should read about magic or not you would have to decide whether it's right to create new worlds, and the powers that be inside them. Yes, on second thoughts I reckon creating worlds like that is fine - the only thing to watch out for is, like you said, how the magic is treated within the story - Is good and bad magic clearly delineated, or are they blurred..

:)

Andy said...

Yay, finally got round to reading this. I agree Jono, well said. Sounds a little like the Harry Potter set up where you've got kids using the dark arts to "do good things". I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the portrayal of good characters doing bad things, or inherently evil characters using their powers to do good things. However where it does start to get dodgy is where good characters are shown to be consistently revelling in sin and reaping no consequences, and likewise, where evil characters are portrayed as being rolemodels.

However, regarding your last sentence - I'm not so sure. I for one would take great pleasure in slaying the dragon/vampire if he/she was cute/noble/a heart throb.

The Editrix said...

Wow, really interesting discussion here! Great post, too, Jono.

About the whole LOTR/Harry Potter/magic thing, I recently read a very good article about this whole issue - Harry Potter vs. Gandalf. It's quite long (actually more of an essay than an article), but definitely worth reading. It's one of more informed, intelligent articles I've read about the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Jono said...

Thanks for that, it looks really interesting. I've found a couple of other articles on Christian fantasy or any fantasy which I keep meaning to sit down and read through - even one which is fiercely against the genre (even The Pilgrim's Progress, if I understand it right from my skimming it.)I will certainly make time for this one.