Monday, September 07, 2009

Some New Words

I found these in a book about books (or matters literary). I believe they are from yet another book by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd called "The Meaning of Liff." They've taken town names (mostly British) and given them useful meanings. These following examples seem to apply to either me or folk I know.

Ahenny
- the way people stand when examining other people's bookshelves.

Ainderby Quernhow
- one who continually bemoans the "loss" of the word "gay" to the English language, even though they never used the word in any context at all until they started complaining they couldn't use it anymore.

Bathel - to pretend you have read a the book under discussion, when in fact you've only seen the TV series.
Beppy
- the triumphal slamming shut of a book after reading the final page.

Dalmilling - continually making small talk to someone who is trying to read.
Frithram - a paragraph that gets you stuck in a book . The more you read it, the less it means to you.
Great Wakering
- the panic that sets in when you badly need to go to the lavatory and cannot make up your mind about what book to take with you.

8 comments:

Cinnamey said...

Hurrah! You posted it!

Dalmilling and Ahenny are my favourites and the ones I can most relate too!

Simeon said...

Jono those are great!

Hannah Nicole said...

*Falls off her chair laughing* That's so funny! All of them are SO true! *laughs* I'm going to have to use them...:D

Hannah Nicole said...

BTW, I awarded you with "The Honest Scrap Award" Go to my blog and get it! :)

Hannah

Lydie said...

*laughs*... ahh, so funny :)

Jono said...

Hannah: Coolness. Will get onto that next week, I think. Am pretty flat out this one.

Rivers Daughter said...

Do mind if I lift these for a friend? I've not read "The Meaning of Liff" and apparently I should. Thanks.

Jono said...

By all means, do so. I have actually not read "The Meaning of Liff" either, myself, only seen excerpts of it here and there, and while some, such as the above, are ingenious, others are decidedly ill-advised in the vein of their humour.